Borrow, Grow, Reap, Return!
The Seed Library is a free service with the goal of increasing awareness of and supporting sustainable food and gardening practices while building community. Through seed saving and sharing, we celebrate biodiversity, nurture locally adapted plant varieties, encourage time in nature, as well as foster community connections and a culture of sharing.
Using the Seed Library
The Seed Library is located on the Main Floor at the Stratford Public Library.
- Browse and borrow seeds from the Library Cabinet. Seeds are organized alphabetically in each section (Vegetables, Herbs, Flowers). Please only take as many seeds as you can grow! Each packet contains 10-15 seeds.
- Record choices in the sign-out binder.
- Plant, grow, and enjoy your harvest! Check out one of our many books or resources on gardening and growing.
- Save seeds and donate them back to the library. Drop seeds off at The Local.
- Tell a friend!
Watch for programs and workshops at the Library and the Local throughout the year on seed saving and other gardening topics.
Please follow this protocol when saving seeds to prevent the spread of diseases:
- Save seeds from only healthy plants.
- Save from a number of plants so that the seed has some genetic diversity in it; for self-pollinating plants, a minimum of 6 plants is necessary, for cross-pollinating, you’ll want to save from a much larger population.
- If the plant cross-pollinates, you’ll want to make sure to keep it isolated so it stays “true to type.”
- When you bring seed to share to the Seed Library, please label with as much information as you can offer.
- Experiments welcome, but please label.
Many like to save seeds that might not be saved from a number of plants or aren't super healthy, or maybe they just like some interesting crosses. You are welcome to bring those seeds, just make sure you write that down on the label so others know they are participating in your experiment!
Donate seeds from healthy plants back to the seed library. Seeds can be dropped off at:
The Local Community Food Centre
612 Erie St. Stratford [map]