Loan Period Rules
The Stratford Public Library provides a variety of material, from books to arduino, for your use and enjoyment. Each of these materials has their own rule on how many you are allowed to borrow at one time, the period of time for which they can be borrowed, and the fee that accrues if they are returned past their due date.
**Late fees are currently suspended and therefore do not presently apply to checked out items
|Kind of Library Item||Limit||Loan Period||Fee
per day / maximum
|Adult books||no limit||3 weeks||$.25 / $10.00|
|Children's books||no limit||3 weeks||$.25 / $5.00|
|High Demand Items*||no limit||2 weeks||$.25 / $10.00|
|Xpress Books||2 per card||1 week||$2.00 / $10.00|
|Adult Magazines||no limit||1 week||$.25 / $10.00|
|Children's Magazines||no limit||1 week||$.25 / $5.00|
|Music CDs||no limit||3 weeks||$.25 / $10.00|
|DVDs||no limit||1 week||$1.00 / $10.00|
|Books on CD / Kit||no limit||3 weeks||$.25 / $10.00|
|Xpress DVDs||2 per card||2 days||$2.00 / $10.00|
|MakerKits||1 per card||1 week||$1.00 / $10.00|
* High Demand is when there are over 5 requests per title
Auto-Renewal (From December 1, 2021)
With Auto Renewals, items on your account will automatically renew 3 days before they are due. Most physical items borrowed (books, DVDs, audiobooks, music CDs) are eligible for up to 3 auto-renewals.
The following are not eligible for auto-renewal:
- Items that have reached their renewal limit
- Items another customer has requested to borrow (items on hold)
- ILLO items (special items borrowed from another library system)
- Xpress items (2-day DVDs and 7-day books)
- Downloadable and streaming materials (e.g. eBooks and eMagazines)
- Book Club Kits
- Park Passes
- Reference materials
All library members will be signed up for Auto-Renewal but you may opt-out at any time by contacting the library. Customers who are signed up for email notifications will receive a notice 3 days before their items are due indicating which items have been renewed and which have not. You can also check the status of your items at anytime using the online catalogue.
Checking the Status of Your Items Out
- Log into your account using your library card or username and your PIN (last 4 digits of your phone number)
- Click on My SPL then Checked Out.
- You will then see the due dates of your items.
- If something is coming due, click in the checkbox beside it and click on the Renew button.
Our Courtesy Reminder service notifies users by email that their items are due back in three days. Please contact the library at 519-271-0220 to take advantage of this useful service. A reminder that this is a courtesy service - returning your items on time is your responsibility.